Setting up a new machine
January 14, 2020
Here’s a bunch of links to software or configuration steps I do whenever I start developing on a new machine. I’ve got sections for Windows or Linux specific links and a section common to both.
This post is mostly a reference for me so I don’t have to hunt down all these links again but probably useful for someone else as well.
- VSCode: https://code.visualstudio.com/
- Markdown All in One
- Install chocolatey: https://chocolatey.org/install
- Use to install git and keepass-plugin-http
- Git Credential Manager for Windows: https://github.com/microsoft/Git-Credential-Manager-for-Windows
- Download: http://kdiff3.sourceforge.net/
- Configure in git: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/33308482/git-how-configure-kdiff3-as-merge-tool-and-diff-tool
- Alternative I’ve been exploring that also support Windows/Mac/Linux: https://sourcegear.com/diffmerge/
- Configure notepad as commit editor
- Install via
- Oh My Zsh
sh -c "$(curl -fsSL https://raw.github.com/ohmyzsh/ohmyzsh/master/tools/install.sh)"
- Powerlevel 10k theme: https://github.com/romkatv/powerlevel10k
- Zsh plugin to configure node version manager: https://github.com/lukechilds/zsh-nvm
- Git autocomplete (in zsh): https://medium.com/@oliverspryn/adding-git-completion-to-zsh-60f3b0e7ffbc
- Keychain to cache sshkey password
eval `keychain --eval --agents ssh id_rsa`in
- Scroll Reverser
- Clocker (to view UTC time from bar at top of MacOS)
- Fantastical 2 (to put my gcal in the bar the calendar that slides out from the side)